Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Boomer's Club Wine Tasting

I now belong to the Boomers Club (Baby Boomers).  They had a July wine tasting event that I had signed up for.  This was my second step into socializing with the club.  The first step has been going to the RummyKub game that is held twice a month. 

I was assigned to a group of four couples and one single female and it was held this past Thursday evening at the home of one of the couples.  We brought a bottle of white wine that was to be under $10.  Naturally, I brought the Fetzer Gewurztraminer – best white wine out there and my thanks to Dar and Thom for enlightening me about it. 

We had finger food with the host opening a new bottle every so often.   When we had sampled everything, the two with the most positive comments was Skinny Girl Chardonnay and Great America Chardonnay.  No one brought a Pinot Grigio.  AND no one commented on my Gewurztraminer!  Bummed.  The couple from Buffalo New York swears by Lake Niagra wine produced by Weideminer Winery somewhere in New York.  They said they have found it here, but couldn’t remember where.

Wine tip:  Although Fetzer makes a great Gewurztraminer, forget about their Pinot Grigio.  I’m making a light dinner for the neighbor tomorrow night who is returning from a week in San Francisco and bought a bottle of Fetzer Pinot.  I’m smart in my old age to know to sample before serving.  I did so last night.  The bottle wasn’t “corked”/gone bad, it just wasn’t good.  So I went to Trader Joes after work today and picked up a Charles Shaw Chardonnay.  There was a very nice gentle man filling a case box with the Chardonnay and said he and his wife prefer that over any other Two Buck Chuck.  He said, “Two Buck Chuck”.  Ah memories.

Back to the wine tasting group; it was a very very nice evening.  Of course the conversation started with where everyone was from.  I’m finally meeting the Wisc people.  One couple was from the Milwaukee area.  Which lead into Polish food and where to get the best Polish cuisine and Mexican in the area.   Somehow we ended up going around the table saying how we met our spouses.  Then it was best shopping districts in Phoenix, somehow onto a short discussion about the plane that was shot down over the Ukraine - topics all over the place.  The event started at 6:30 and just before 10pm someone looked at their watch and noticed the time, it was approaching 10 pm so we all headed home.

I got an email yesterday announcing the August wine tasting.  This sounds like it might be a monthly event.  I’m signing up!  I don’t think it will beat my first experience, but it still will be fun.


Speaking of finally meeting the Wisc residence, Rita took me across the street to introduce me to Becky and Joe.  Becky is from Ireland and Joe grew up in Milwaukee.  Both of their hearing isn’t the best so they didn’t hear me ask how they met.  I’m assuming military since they go to the Luke Air Force base commissary.

No comments:

Post a Comment